Warning: This plan does not involve the use of the words units or paradigms or digital content strategy or platform.
1. The use of mp3s will be for streaming and marketing only.
2. The default format for the music business will be 88.2/24 bit .wav files or above.
3. Music listeners will preview all purchases online.
4. When they want to own a recording, they purchase the files and the files are deposited in their cloud account from the server of their online store.
4a. Listeners will own those recordings even if they drop their streaming membership.
4b. Listeners are able to do with those files as they see fit — resale is not permitted. If some sort of embedded id number is put into the files to track ridiculous anti-artist file sharing, so be it.
5. There will be a minimal monthly charge to stream and file purchases should be $5-7 per recording.
6. If music listeners consume more music, the price they pay will drop or the perks they receive will increase.
7. New bands with new recordings can sell at lower prices and older, more established acts that have paid their dues are free to sell their recordings at higher prices. Prices for recordings can move up or down as demand moves up or down. Dynamic pricing will be a part of the music business.
8. Some sort of equipment subsidy should be adopted so that listeners are listening on equipment that makes their listening experience better, not worse. Maybe increased consumption entitles listeners to upgraded music gear.
9. A non-PR oriented music filter should be built into these stores so that new recording artists are able to develop organically. The filter should not be centered either around paid publicity or fan voting — neither one currently works.
10. Artists and music labels will put their 88.2 .wav files in one location that all stores will use to move files to customers. They will received detailed but not invasive information regarding who is streaming/listening to their music and who has purchased it. They will be able to get enough information to establish relationships with listeners outside of the store.
Listeners will be able to preview music and not be ripped off.
Listeners will be encouraged to consume more music as they consume more music.
Listeners will have a great sounding format that is easy to purchase online.
Listeners will be able to bring back the music business.
You heard it here first.